Almond Buttercrunch Toffee
The toasty flavours of coconut sugar toffee and roasted almonds, with silky chocolate and sea salt, are sure to impress.
200g vegan butter
1 cup coconut sugar
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon maple syrup
Generous pinch of salt, plus more to decorate
240g chocolate, chopped into chunks (mylk or dark – your choice!)
Sea salt flakes
1/2 cup roasted almonds, roughly chopped
- Step 1 :Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Step 2 :In a heavy bottomed pot/saucepan, combine the vegan butter, coconut sugar, water, maple syrup, and salt.
- Step 3 :Cook over a medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Step 4 :Once the mixture is boiling, attach a candy thermometer to the side of the pan. Continue to boil, stirring, until the mixture reaches 142 degrees Celsius. (When the mixture gets to 135 degrees, watch it very carefully so it doesn't burn).
- Step 5 :Remove pan from heat, detach thermometer, and pour the toffee mixture into the lined baking tray.
- Step 6 :After a few moments when the toffee has set slightly, sprinkle the chopped chocolate over the hot toffee. Stand to allow the chocolate to melt. Once melted, use a spatula to spread the chocolate over the toffee, then sprinkle with salt flakes and chopped almonds.
- Step 7 :Refrigerate until the toffee is cool and firm.
- Step 8 :Use the baking paper to lift the toffee from the pan, and break into chunks.
- Step 9 :Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Copyright © 2015 Loving Earth Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.